Types of Accommodation in Tanzania
Accommodation in Tanzania: Lodges, Tented Camps and Mobile Camps
We believe in smaller and more intimate Tanzania safari lodge styles. Safari365 seldom recommends safari lodges that are of a mass tourist nature and only in certain areas do hotels have more than 15 rooms. There are a limited number of large properties that reflect resort style accommodation; these are generally found on the island of Zanzibar and not on the safari circuits.
Many of the camps we recommend will have no more than 8 rooms or tents (limiting the maximum amount of people to 16) as this leads to an interpersonal and engaging safari experience Safari lodges in Tanzania vary greatly from a three to five star level, with the smaller and more exclusive properties being more costly. Staffing at most Tanzanian camps and lodges are run by local Tanzanians – warm in nature and spirit.
Safari lodges are larger, permanent structures built of brick and mortar. Lodges are smaller than hotels but have the same full amenities and similar facilities such as restaurants and swimming pools. As mentioned above, the lodges range from three star levels, to ultimate five star luxury.
Tented camps are made up of large, walk in, canvas tents set up on permanent frames. These camps are generally smaller than lodges and have the amenities similar to that of a lodge or hotel such as separate en-suite bathrooms, restaurants and swimming pools. The tented camps aim to provide all the comforts of a lodge while giving guests a smaller, intimate, tented yet luxurious safari experience.
Mobile camps are “roaming camps”. These small, intimate camps move around, following herds of migratory animals. Camp operators construct semi-permanent camps that are constructed in open bush. There are no barriers and animals can roam free but these mobile camps are safe and guests’ safety is a top priority. The camps are fully serviced by a permanent staff and the camps aim to offer up a luxury experience in the wilderness. Meals are served by a camp chef and eaten in the ambience of Africa, water is heated by staff for bathing, and generators power the mobile camps (although these are not used too much).
When staying in a tented camp, guests have the opportunity to truly connect with nature. Both kinds of tents are situated in rich game viewing areas (the mobile camps even more so). Sleeping under canvas offers an enhanced, immersive Tanzania safari experience of Africa.
Our Common Safari Lodges in Northern Tanzania Park
- Tarangire: Octagon Lodge / Farm of Dreams Lodge / Eileens Trees Inn
- Serengeti: Tukaone Camps / Katikati Tented Camp / Osupuko Camp
- Ngorongoro: Octagon Lodge / Farm of Dreams Lodge / Eileens Trees Inn
- Lake Manyara: Octagon Lodge / Farm of Dreams Lodge / Eileens Trees Inn/Fanaka Lodge
- Tarangire – Eileens Trees Inn / Farm of Dreams / Octagon Lodge
- Serengeti – Nyati Migration Camp
- Ngorongoro – Eileens Trees Inn / Farm of Dreams / Octagon Lodge
- Lake Manyara – Eileens Trees Inn / Farm of Dreams / Octagon Lodge
- Tarangire – Burunge Tented Lodge / Sangaiwe Tented Lodge / Tarangire Simba Lodge
- Serengeti – Tortilis Camps / Tukaone Camps / Kati Kati / Tanzania Bush Camps / Mawe Tented Camps / Serengeti Heritage Camps
- Ngorongoro – Rhino Lodge / Tloma Lodge / Endoro Lodge / Karatu Simba Lodge
- Lake Manyara – Tloma Lodge / Endoro Lodge / Karatu Simba Lodge
- Tarangire – Tarangire Osupuko Lodge / Kirurumu Tarangire Lodge
- Serengeti – Seronera Wildlife Lodge / Ang’ata Serengeti Camps / Serengeti Wilderness Camps
- Ngorongoro – Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge / Ngorongoro Tortilis Camp / Ngorongoro Farm House / Farm House Valley
- Lake Manyara – Burudika Manyara Lodge / Manyara Wildlife Safari Camp / Oremiti Manyara
- Tarangire – Maramboi Tented Lodge / Tarangire Safari Lodge / Tarangire Sopa Lodge / Kitela Lodge
- Serengeti – Serena Safari Lodge / Sopa Lodge / Kiota Camps / Kubu Kubu Tented Lodge
- Ngorongoro – Ngorongoro Serena Safari Lodge / Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge / Pakulala Luxury Safari Camp / Ngorongoro Oldeani Mountain Lodge (Deluxe Room) / Kitela Lodge
- Lake Manyara – Lake Manyara Serena Safari Lodge / Escarpment Luxury Lodge / Lake Manyara Tortilis Camp
- Tarangire – Nimali Africa Tarangire Camp
- Serengeti – Melia Serengeti Lodge ( Lagoon View) / Ole Serai Luxury Camps (Deluxe Room)
- Ngorongoro – Gibbs Farm (Garden Cottages) / Neptune Ngorongoro Luxury Lodge
- Lake Manyara – Gibb’s Farm (Garden Cottages) / Neptune Ngorongoro Luxury Lodge